Thursday 1 March 2018

Review: Smooth-Talking Cowboy by Maisey Yates

Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley #1) by Maisey Yates
Publication date: February 20th 2018
Publisher: HQN Books
My rating: 4.5 Stars
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD | Kobo

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33199875-the-good-daughter
Welcome to Gold Valley, Oregon, where a rough-and-tumble rancher and the girl next door are about to learn that opposites attract

Olivia Logan has a plan: win back her ex by making him see what he’s missing. But first she needs to find a man who’s willing to play along. With his laid-back cowboy charm and knack for getting under her skin, Luke Hollister is an unlikely hero—but he wants her help convincing her father to sell him land, which means he needs her as much as she needs him.

Luke likes his life—and his women—uncomplicated. So why does good girl Olivia heat his blood like no one else? She’s always been off-limits, but the more time they spend as Gold Valley’s hottest new “couple,” the more real it’s starting to feel. Luke was supposed to help her win back another man…not keep her in his arms. But now that he has her there, he’s not sure he’ll ever let go.

My Thoughts:
Olivia Logan is smarting from her break-up with Bennett Dodge, the man she always thought she’d marry. He didn’t propose, and she broke it off with him, but Bennett doesn’t seem very upset, and Olivia’s worried she made a mistake.  Having a few run-ins with Luke Hollister, the smug, handsome cowboy who’s always guaranteed to irritate her, makes Bennett sit up and take notice and so they hatch a mutually beneficial plan to make him jealous.

Olivia’s come off as a prissy, uptight character in the last few books, and her relationship with Bennett seemed completely without chemistry.  The first 20% or so of the book I was wondering if I’d ever warm up to Olivia, but then the reasons she was so controlled and cold started coming out, and I completely understood.  Luke ruffles her feathers whenever they’re together and her carefully controlled composure unravels, brining out a desires and passion she never knew she had and it terrifies her!

Luke seemed totally opposite, carefree, happy, the consummate player, but he also set himself apart and controlled the relationships he’s had over the years for his own reasons. Everyone likes him, and Luke has no problem charming the pants off any woman, except for Olivia, and he loves riling her!  Their “fake” dates spark real feelings quickly, and Luke feels a fierce possessiveness for Olivia he’s never felt with any other woman. 

One of the many things I love about Maisy Yates’ romances it the depth and layers of her characters.  Olivia seemed like such a stuck-up prude at first, but the some of her layers are peeled back to show why she acted that way, and while she’s pretty straight laced, Olivia’s a warm-blooded woman underneath it all, with a whole big heart ready to love. Same with Luke; he just seems kind like a love-them-and-leave-them sort of guy, just out for a good time, but he’s so much more than that and it takes their pairing to start uncovering the real Luke and Olivia, and oh my, was it steamy!

Maisey Yates was a new to me author last year and since then I’ve picked up several of her romances and have not been disappointed!  At first glance her stories seem like light, fun-loving romances, but there’s a depth to them that make them so much more satisfying and heartfelt.  Smooth-Talking Cowboy is related to the Copper Ridge series, and the first book in the Golden Valley series, but it’s not necessary to read any of the prior books to enjoy it. 




Connect with Maisey Yates:



7 comments:

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I have wanted to read this author for a while and just haven't gotten to any of her books yet. Sounds like I need to change that! Great review!

Lily B said...

I would probably have a hard time with Olivia at first as well, but I am glad to hear that she grew on you as the book went on.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I read one of her books before and it was a good read but I remember something bugged me about it. I should give her another chance because she does write nice romances and they are set in Oregon.

Unknown said...

I truly did enjoy this first book in the series. It was entertaining and definitely captured my attention. I didn't want to stop reading once I started.

Zia
Have you seen Credit Repair Company

Kindlemom said...

I've seen some really good reviews for this and it definitely makes me want to try it! Wonderful review and I'm glad you loved it!

Karen said...

I'm a little behind on this series but I love Yates!

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Carina Olsen said...

Gorgeous review Rachel :D I'm glad you liked this one a lot. Yay for great romance :D Looks so cute too. Sigh. One day I will want to read books like this too, haha :) Hopefully. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...